Sunday, May 26, 2013

Can we really protect our privacy online?



This last week I read the article Facebook is Using You from the New York Times and it really got me wondering how and where my information is being shared. I mean who has the right to know what I am browsing about online. Something as little as typing in a word in Google search can trigger ads related to that topic to appear on my browser solely targeted towards me. The article mentioned that there are companies out there like NeBuAd that can sell your personal aggregate data to other companies to enhance their marketing efforts. Although, this is a great way for a company to reach their target markets; is this an invasion of privacy and is it ethical? According to the article many American's believe we need a "do not track law" that is similar to the "do not call law." People are concerned that their personal history online will affect their life opportunities. I can say that I too am concerned for my privacy online and whether or not my browsing history will affect my chances of getting a mortgage or a job! I think a line needs to be drawn so consumer’s privacy is protected and companies can profit off of online marketing. So, how can we obtain a mutually beneficial relationship regarding our privacy? One option may be to create a law so that the consumer must be asked if they company can have their personal information, like your e-mail address. Sometimes, when I am online shopping I will encounter offers from companies to enter my e-mail address for a discount or promotional deal that I will receive just to sign up on their mailing list. I think approaches like those offer positive ways for companies to get our personal information. Instead, we have companies like NeBuAd that digs into all of our personal details and sell them for a flat rate without any consideration of how it may affect the person. The new technological world of data is a lucrative and powerful marketplace with a variety of people and firms involved. There are a lot more people out there tracking you than you think! So, be careful! You've been warned!
Here's a video of the CEO of NeBuAd attempting to defend his company's values.

No comments:

Post a Comment